HAKI Access Solutions have been working in strategic partnership with Sparrows, with a portfolio of existing successful scopes jointly executed. This was driven by the need to bring in a specialist provider to offer true innovation with regards to crane maintenance requirements and move away from traditional methods.
The status quo for existing boom fabric maintenance scopes required vast quantities of materials and labour to wrap the full length of the boom in scaffold and sheeting.
We realised a number of our existing relocatable habitat solutions would lend themselves to this application with minimal modification.
Client Initial Specified Work Scope
Develop an access solution that is;
• Easy and quick to construct and install
• Able to be relocated and allow works to resume with minimal downtime
• Can be removed from the boom to allow the crane to return to service at short notice
• Offers a suitable working environment for the blasting and coating of the boom
Following on from the extensive design work completed for the onshore demonstration, the solution was already designed to withstand the full effects of the harsh North Sea conditions.
We mobilised a multi-disciplined team to install a 30m run of temporary steelwork using rope access techniques, before constructing the base platform and the encapsulation vertical walls at deck level. This was lifted and secured onto the boom with the upper sections of the roof fitted in-situ.
Kedar bead sheeting completed the main runs with monarflex used to locally encapsulate the gable ends.
Upon completion of a 5m section, the habitat was relocated by personnel in less than an hour with the gable ends then sheeted in locally to suit each move.
The spent abrasive was collected through a bespoke grated hatch installed in the platform and a chute to weather deck level minimised the manual handling and durations typically associated with the post-blast clean down prior to coating application.
Safety & Commercial Benifits
• Significantly reduced crane downtime
• Multidisciplined team offering savings on POB costs and a turn-key solution
• Ability to return crane to service in half a shift if required
• Access for maintenance work scopes to commence within 3 shifts from start of installation
• 90% reduction in materials required and the associated deck space and shipping demands